President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated the Super Eagles for another spectacular outing that has set Nigeria on course for the next level in the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament in Egypt.
Nigeria defeated South Africa 2-1.
The president lauded the Eagles in a congratulatory message to the team, issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, in Abuja on Wednesday.
Buhari said that the mission of having “the trophy in our hands for the fourth time is almost accomplished for the high-flying Eagles’’.
He urged the team and their handlers to remain focused and disciplined to scale the remaining two hurdles to glory.
The president affirmed that the crop of players in the team represented the resilient and indomitable Nigerian spirit, which must be reflected in other areas of national life.
He assured the players that Nigerians had been praying for them to get to the peak of the tournament, “knowing that the taste of victory is sweet.
“What they have achieved so far is pleasing to Nigerians, irrespective of their ethnic, religious or political inclination,’’ said Buhari. (NAN)
- Bandits kill Army colonel, two soldiers in Katsina
- NLC to go ahead with Monday protest despite court order
- Frustrated graduate from Katsina reportedly sets all his certificates ablaze due to inability to secure a job
- 7 policemen, 3 soldiers killed as Boko haram terrorists attack Borno Governor, Babagana Zulum’s convoy
- Banditry, insecurity in Zuru land: Matters arising