World number one Novak Djokovic comfortably beat Taylor Fritz 6-4 6-2 to reach the Madrid Open third round on Tuesday.
The Serbian, who triumphed in the Spanish capital in 2011 and 2016, was at his best to win in one hour five minutes over his American opponent.
Guido Pella reached the second round with a surprise 6-2 1-6 6-3 win over Daniil Medvedev, as did his Argentine compatriot Diego Schwartzmann, who ousted Marco Cecchinato 6-0 4-6 6-1.
In the women’s tournament, two-times Madrid champion Simona Halep eased to a 7-5 6-1 win over Johanna Konta.
The Romanian world number three will face Slovakian Viktoria Kuzmova in the third round.
Belarussian Aliaksandra Sasnovic also progressed, beating Slovakia’s Anna Schmiedlova 6-2 6-2.(dpa/NAN)
- Report: Ammunition from US, Israel, Iran used in farmer-herder crisis in Nigeria
- Imo lady killed in Kebbi family not yet identified, help if you know her family
- APC has performed more than critics – AGF, Abubakar Malami
- There will be no protest in Lagos on October 1 – Lagos Police ban rallies and protests
- Soldier dismissed and sentenced to 5 years imprisonment for defiling 13-year-old girl